| Season 3, Episode 8 |
#75 in Series
|Air date:||November 30, 1953|
|Written by:|| Bob Carroll Jr.|
|Directed by:||William Asher|
|Production code:||3-8 / 075|
|IMDB||Too Many Crooks|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Redecorating the Mertzes' Apartment"||"Changing the Boys' Wardrobe"|
Too Many Crooks was the 75th episode of I Love Lucy, also the 8th episode of Season 3 of the series. The episode, was directed by William Asher, originally aired on CBS-TV on November 30, 1953.
The police are looking for "Madame X," the mysterious cat burglar. Due to mutual misunderstandings, Lucy is suspected by the Mertzes, and Ethel is suspected by the Ricardos.
The robber known as Madame "X" is on the loose, and everybody is scared where she'll strike next. Due to wacky circumstances, Ethel thinks Lucy is Madame "X," and Lucy thinks Ethel is Madame "X." They each try to catch the other.
- The original script for this episode had Madame "X" get away at the end, taking both Fred's new birthday tweed suit and Fred's old suit Ricky took to the tailor's along with her.
- The Mertzes try to get Lucy's fingerprints on the silver cigarette case Ricky got from his band. Engraved on it was: "Merry Christmas to the boss from the boys, 1952."
- Lucy and Ricky wanted to buy Fred a tweed suit for his birthday.
- On the night this episode aired was the same night of the surprise anniversary party Desi had for his wife Lucille at the Mocambo, the same party that will inspire episode #121's plot next season. During the party, a TV was brought into the Mocambo so the guests could watch this new episode.
- The police figured out Madame "X" was a woman robber when they saw her hitch up her girdle. Everyone thought she was a man at first because she dressed in men's clothes.
- The Ricardos' good silver belongs to Ricky's mother.
- Lucille Ball ... as Lucy Ricardo
- Desi Arnaz ... as Ricky Ricardo
- Vivian Vance ... as Ethel Mertz
- William Frawley ... as Fred Mertz