| Season 1, Episode 5 |
#5 in Series
|Air date:||November 12, 1951|
|Written by:|| Bob Carroll Jr.|
|Directed by:||Marc Daniels|
|Production code:||1-5 / 005|
|IMDB||The Quiz Show|
|← Previous||Next →|
|Lucy Thinks Ricky Is Trying to Murder Her||The Audition|
The Quiz Show is the fifth episode of the first season and also the 5th overall episode of I Love Lucy. Directed by Marc Daniels, it first aired on CBS-TV on November 12, 1951.
Desperate to win a $1000 jackpot to balance her household accounts, Lucy agrees to a quiz show stunt in which she has to introduce a stranger to Ricky as her "long lost husband."
With her household accounts in disarray, Lucy resorts to being a contestant on the game show "Females Are Fabulous" to win some money. The only catch is that she must introduce a stranger to Ricky as her "long-lost first husband." Lucy mistakes a bum at the door for the actor from the quiz show, so when the real actor comes over, she must do the charade all over again.
- This is the first of three appearances of the character Freddie Fillmore.
- For the "Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" scene, Lucy took off her false eyelashes before filming, so as not to get them wet.
- The original name for "Females Are Fabulous" was "Women Are Wonderful."
- The Ricardos are shown to have liquor bottles in their living room in this episode. The liquor is taken away for future episodes, so the Ricardos didn't look like drunks.
- The "real first husband" (not the bum) was played by Vivian Vance's husband at the time, Phil Ober.
Lucy: This is my system for paying bills. See, I throw 'em all up in the air, and those that land face-up are the winners!
Ethel: By "the winners," do you mean the ones you pay?
Ethel: Well, what happens if they ALL land face-up?
Lucy: Well, then I switch- I only pay the ones that land face-down!
Lucy: Ricky, I want you to meet my SECOND first husband...
- John Emery as Harold
- Lee Millar as Announcer
- Frank Nelson as Freddie Fillmore
- Philip Ober as Arnold
- Hazel Pierce as Mrs. Peterson