| Season 3, Episode 11 |
#78 in Series
|Air date:||December 21, 1953|
|Written by:|| Bob Carroll Jr.|
|Directed by:||William Asher|
|Production code:||3-11 / 078|
|IMDB||Ricky's Old Girlfriend|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Lucy Has Her Eyes Examined"||"The Million Dollar Idea"|
Ricky's Old Girlfriend was the 76th episode of I Love Lucy, also the 11th episode of Season 3 of the series. The episode, was directed by William Asher, originally aired on CBS-TV on December 21, 1953.
The Ricardos and Mertzes take a marriage quiz. Lucy wants to know about Ricky's old girlfriends; one question involves past romances, and Ricky makes up a story about an old girlfriend from Cuba, Carlotta Romero. When a real Cuban entertainer of the same name is performing in town, Ricky is in real trouble!!
While taking a marriage quiz, Lucy starts listing off her many former suitors. To compete with his wife, Ricky also begins making a long list of imaginary girlfriends of the past. But when one girl on his list (which he happened to make up to make Lucy jealous), Carlota Romero, turns out to be real, a Cuban singer, who happens to be headlining at a club in town!! Lucy gets very nervous that she's going to lose her husband to his old flame.
- The names of the men Lucy lists as saying she has dated were all first names of cast and crew of the show.
- Little Ricky ate the Queen of Spades, so the gang can't play cards.
- The official title of the marriage quiz was "How to Rate Your Marriage, or Is Your Spouse a Louse?"
- We learn that Ricky's been in America for 15 years at this point, and that, 15-16 years prior, he worked in a Havana nightclub where Carlota also worked in a singing act known as the Five Romero Sisters.
- Lucy dreams that Ricky leaves her for Carlota. Through the dream we see little Ricky as a baby, young boy and grown man. He hilariously is wearing the same outfit with a bunny hat.
- The dream Little Ricky (the one between the baby little Ricky and the grown man little Ricky) was played by Jerry Mathers in an uncredited role.
- Lucille Ball ... as Lucy Ricardo
- Desi Arnaz ... as Ricky Ricardo
- Vivian Vance ... as Ethel Mertz
- William Frawley ... as Fred Mertz