| Season 5, Episode 9 |
#136 in Series
|Air date:||December 5, 1955|
|Written by:|| Bob Carroll Jr.|
|Directed by:||James V. Kern|
|Production code:||5-09 / 136|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Lucy Goes to a Rodeo"||"Ricky's European Booking"|
Nursery School was the 136th overall episode of I Love Lucy, also the 9th episode of season 5 of the series. The episode, was directed by James V. Kern, originally aired on CBS-TV on December 5, 1955.
Lucy is not happy about being separated from Little Ricky, but Ricky insists the lad must start nursery school.
Ricky tells Lucy that she has to send Little Ricky to nursery school and after putting up a fight, she relunctantly obeys him. Her worst fears come true when Little Ricky gets sick and has to go to the hospital to get his tonsils out. Lucy sneaks her son his favorite teddy bear by dressing like a nurse.
- Replicas of Little Ricky's teddy bear from this episode have been made for merchandising.
- Little Ricky had tonsillitis a total of four times before his surgery.
- Little Ricky's doctor was Dr. Gettleman.
- Lucy reveals in this episode that she's been reading Dr. Spock since Little Ricky was born.
- When Lucy exhaustedly says that "motherhood" is why she's so tired, Ricky excitedly thinks that Lucy is pregnant again.
- Little Ricky is called a "3-year-old" several times in this episode, but in episode #149, he is supposed to be celebrating his third birthday!
- The first painting Little Ricky makes at nursery school is interpreted to be an elephant sailing a houseboat.
- Lucille Ball ... as Lucy Ricardo
- Desi Arnaz ... as Ricky Ricardo
- Vivian Vance ... as Ethel Mertz
- William Frawley ... as Fred Mertz