| Season 5, Episode 21 |
#148 in Series
|Air date:||March 26, 1956|
|Written by:|| Bob Carroll Jr.|
|Directed by:||James V. Kern|
|Production code:||5-21 / 148|
|IMDB||Lucy in the Swiss Alps|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Lucy Gets a Paris Gown"||"Lucy Gets Homesick in Italy"|
Lucy in the Swiss Alps was the 148th overall episode of I Love Lucy, also the 21st episode of season 5 of the series. The episode, was directed by James V. Kern, originally aired on CBS-TV on March 26, 1956.
The Ricardos and the Mertzes go mountain climbing in the Swiss Alps, and are stuck in a cabin with little to eat, after an avalanche.
Fred mixes up the names of the Swiss towns, so he sends the band to Locarno instead of Lucerne. Lucy suggests that they all go mountain climbing, as a way to stop Ricky from yelling at Fred. The foursome eats a picnic lunch on top of a mountain, but an avalanche leaves them stranded in a small cabin. They all think they're going to die soon, but the sound of a Swiss band starts to be heard. The Swiss musicians have saved them!
- This is the only time on the trip we get to hear Fred use the German he's learned. But it's nothing spectacular. He merely counts to two.
- During confession time, Fred says that he charged the Ricardos $10 more each month than the rest of the tenants. Ethel confesses that she always gave the Ricardos back the extra $10.
- Ethel confesses that she was really 19 when they married. Fred says that he knows she was really 24. Ethel doesn't dispute being 24, so it's not clear whether Fred was joking or telling the truth.
- Ethel sat on Fred's glasses while they were in Paris, so that's why Fred misread "Locarno" for "Lucerne."
- Lucille Ball ... as Lucy Ricardo
- Desi Arnaz ... as Ricky Ricardo
- Vivian Vance ... as Ethel Mertz
- William Frawley ... as Fred Mertz