| Season 2, Episode 18 |
#53 in Series
|Air date:||December 29, 1952|
|Written by:|| Bob Carroll Jr.|
|Directed by:||William Asher|
|Production code:||2-18 / 053|
|IMDB||Lucy Hires an English Tutor|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Lucy's Show Biz Swan Song"||"Ricky Has Labor Pains"|
Lucy Hires an English Tutor was the 53rd overall episode of I Love Lucy, also the 18th episode of Season 2 of the series, which first aired Dececmber 29, 1952 on CBS-TV. The episode was directed by William Asher.
Lucy is prompted to start studying and reading, to smarten herself up for her new baby, because she wants her baby to hear nothing but perfect English.
- Mr. Livermore's name is Percy.
- Ricky's alma mater is Havana U.
- According to the baby T-shirt Ricky bought, the Ricardos' baby would have graduated from college as part of the class of 1974.
- Only one place in all of New York sells papaya juice milkshakes. This place really existed at the time, located on 91st Street and Columbus Ave. The milkshakes are best enjoyed with a juicy dill pickle.
- Lucy fans will recognize the actor who played Mr. Livermore as also playing Dan Jenkins, the secondhand furniture salesman, in "Redecorating."
- Ricky tells Mr. Livermore that Lucy's going to have a baby in "Feb-ri-ary." But Little Ricky's birthdate ends up being January 19, 1953, not sometime in February.
- Lucy: I would say, "Okay, that's a swell way to get off to a lousy start!"
- Mr. Livermore: Mr. Ricardo, wherever did you acquire that odd pronounciation [of your vowels]?
- Ricky: I went to school in Cuba. What's your excuse?
- Lucille Ball ... as Lucy Ricardo
- Desi Arnaz ... as Ricky Ricardo
- Vivian Vance ... as Ethel Mertz
- William Frawley ... as Fred Mertz