| Season 4, Episode 1 |
#98 in Series
|Air date:||October 18, 1954|
|Written by:|| Bob Carroll Jr.|
|Directed by:||William Asher|
|Production code:||4-1 / 098|
|IMDB||Lucy Cries Wolf|
|← Previous||Next →|
| "The Sublease" |
(Season 3 finale)
Lucy Cries Wolf was the 98th overall episode of I Love Lucy, also the premiere epidsode in Season four of the series. The episode, was directed by William Asher, originally aired on CBS-TV on October 18, 1954.
To find out how much Ricky really loves her, Lucy calls him during a rehearsal and says there's a burglar in the apartment. It's only after two attempts that Lucy finds herself tied and gagged by two local crooks.
After Lucy reads an article in the paper about a husband who didn't believe his wife's panicky phone call about robbers being in the apartment, Lucy decides to test Ricky's loyalty. She pretends that there's been a mysterious man around the apartment, and Ricky, figuring that his wife is testing him, sends the Mertzes over to check on Lucy. Fred and Ethel are, of course, upset when they find out Lucy's just been crying wolf, and Lucy's upset at Ricky's less-than-freaked-out reaction. So, Lucy decides to make the apartment look like it's been ransacked, and she goes and hides out on the window ledge. When Ethel comes back and doesn't find Lucy, she is terrified, and Ricky is scared, too, enough to come home. But in the middle of their mourning for Lucy's loss, a neighbor phones and tells Ricky that Lucy's out on the ledge. Ricky and the Mertzes pretend to not care that Lucy's missing, as a way to treat her a lesson. Lucy angrily climbs back in the apartment. Later that night, during cards, Lucy goes out to pout in the hallway, and she really does get tied up by some crooks! But Ricky and the Mertzes still don't believe her, thinking that Lucy tied herself up.
- This is the first time the Ricardos' living room window is used for anything other than scenery.
- Mrs. DeVries is the neighbor who calls Ricky and informs him that Lucy's on the window ledge. The actress who played this role really was named DeVries
- Desi practiced all week lifting weights to make his biceps visibly pop for the lifeguard scene.
- While trying to teach Lucy a lesson, Ricky says he'll wait a respectable amount of time to re-marry. How long is that respectable amount of time? Just 10 days!
- Lucille Ball ... as Lucy Ricardo
- Desi Arnaz ... as Ricky Ricardo
- Vivian Vance ... as Ethel Mertz
- William Frawley ... as Fred Mertz