| Season 1, Episode 22 |
#22 in Series
|Air date:||March 10, 1952|
|Written by:|| Bob Carroll Jr.|
|Directed by:||Marc Daniels|
|Production code:||1-22 / 022|
|IMDB||Fred and Ethel Fight|
|← Previous||Next →|
|New Neighbors||The Moustache|
Fred and Ethel Fight is the twenty-second episode of the first season of I Love Lucy, also the 22nd overall episodeof the series. Directed by Marc Daniels, it first aired on CBS-TV on March 10, 1952.
To gain Ricky's sympathy after a fight, Lucy pretends to have been hit by a speeding bus.
The Ricardos try to reconcile the feuding Mertzes, but they end up arguing themselves. To try to win their spouses back without losing their pride, both Lucy and Ricky come up with a scheme. Lucy tries for the sympathy vote by wrapping herself in bandages and pretending she's been hit by a bus, whereas Ricky pretends that the apartment is on fire so he can save Lucy and look like a hero.
- The idea for Lucy and Ricky getting into an argument after patching up things between the Mertzes came from a real-life incident that happened. Just like in the episode, Lucy and Desi got around to discussing an old argument they once had, and they ended up fighting about who said and did what in the argument!
- Fred orders a grape juice at the drug store while Ricky eats a peanut butter sandwich.
- When Lucy thinks there's a fire, she rushes to save her bottles of henna rinse.
- During Lucy and Ricky's argument at the dinner table, when Lucy makes fun of Ricky's English and makes Ricky rant in Spanish, what he says in Spanish is about how he studied English for many years at universities, and that he speaks English better than everyone else sitting at the dinner table.
- Lucy: There's one of the lovebirds now.
Ricky: Yeah, before the eening is over, there will be feathers flying all over the place...
- Ethel: (about Fred) Lucy, is that my date? He's not a dream, he's a nightmare!
Fred: (about Ethel) Is that your idea of a cute, young chick? You'll never shop for my poultry!
- Ricky: Come on, Ethel, tell him you're sorry.
Ethel: (to Fred) Well, I'm sorry your mother looks like a weasel...
- Ethel: After all, I gave him the best years of my life!
Fred: Were THOSE the best?!
- Ethel: Have you got plenty of adhesive tape and bandages in the house?
Lucy: Well, that all depends.
Ethel: On what?
Lucy: On what kind of bus I get hit by- local or express!
- Lucille Ball as Lucy Ricardo
- Desi Arnaz as Ricky Ricardo
- Vivian Vance as Ethel Mertz
- William Frawley as Fred Mertz
- Hazel Pierce as Waitress