This page lists the main and recurring characters who appeared on the I Love Lucy series.
- Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball) housewife and member of the Wednesday Arts Club with best friend Ethel, with whom she often michievously gets entangled into various predicaments; often dreams of stardom and fame but has little talent
- Ricky Ricardo (Desi Arnaz) - Cuban born bandleader/singer musician who usually headlines at the Copacabana Club; usually serves as foil to wife Lucy's schemes and predicaments that she and Ethel get into; seldom allows Lucy, who seeks to perform at the club, to do so
- Ethel Mertz (Vivian Vance) - best friend of Lucy who often gets mixed up in Lucy's often hairbrained schemes; co-landord of the Manhattan apartment building where they and the Ricardos live with husband Fred
- Fred Mertz (William Frawley) - co-landlord/owner of Manhattan apartment building where they and the Ricardos also live;as best friend of Ricky, also serves as a somewhat gruff comic foil to both wife Ethel and Lucy
- Ricky Ricardo, Jr. - (Keith Thibodeaux) son of Ricky and Lucy Ricardo, born in Season 1; Twins Richard and Ronald Lee Simmons played him as an infant and Joseph and Michael Mayer both played "Little Ricky" as a toddler
- Mrs. McGillicuddy — (Kathryn Card) Lucy's scatterbrained mother, who often causes friction when she insists on being included in whatever Lucy and Ricky plan to do together.
- Cynthia Harcourt - (Mary Jane Croft) - Lucy's socialite school chum
- Betty Ramsey (Mary Jane Croft) - Old high school classmate of Ethel, kind of a snobbish nemisis/rival to her, first appears in Season 2
- Ralph Ramsey (Frank Nelson) - Betty Ramsey's husband, first appears in Season 2
- Jerry (Jerry Hausner) - Ricky's agent, first appears in unaired pilot episode
- Caroline Appleby (Doris Singleton) - sort of "frenemy", a nemisis/rival to Lucy, and fellow member of the Wednesday Fine Arts Club along with Ethel, originally named Lillian Appleby; but after Singleton's first appearance on the show, the producers felt that the names Lillian and Lucy sounded too similar, so her name was changed to Carolyn)
- Marion Strong (Shirley Mitchell) - Fellow Wednesday Fine Arts club member with friends Lucy and Ethel who annoys people with her cacklong laugh; role originated by Margie Liszt